Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sauvie Island to the Oregon Coast: A Club Cycling Event


Today I embarked on a club ride with the Portland Triathlon Club.  The ride was from Sauvie Island to the Oregon Coast.  The club rented the largest school bus I’d ever seen; time for a tangent.  This bus was huge.  It had about 25 seats to hold 50+ people.  The thing was monstrous!  Anyways, The ride was broken up into two pit stops, with riders starting at each point.  So a person could do 100, 66, or 33’ish miles; pretty awesome group ride.  So the bulk of us started at the 100 mile (century ride) point.  This is the point where the cosmos made it clear I’ve wronged someone in life, hard.  One mile, ONE MILE! Into my ride I have a flat.  I could feel my bike handling sluggish and realized that my tire was slowly deflating.  I hoped to the other side of the guard rail and whipped out my gear.  One of the club organizers stopped to make sure I was okay.  I used my tools like I’d never used them before and threw on a new tube and racked my tire.  Away I went with John, and we were behind everyone.  About two miles down the road… yeah, I’ve logged about three miles at this point… remember that thing about wronging people?  My rear tube EXPLODES.  John was a good few hundred feet in front of me and turned when he heard it.  Thankfully, other than a few scrapes, my tire was fine.  John continued on, I changed my tube again, and I backtracked to grab the shuttle to the first check point; there’s no way I could reasonably pick up the time lost from two flats.

Some riders had beaten the shuttle to the first check point when we arrived.  The 66 mile crew (which now unfortunately included myself) took our bikes out and got ready.  I waited for few minutes after a large group headed out and hit the road.  I kept a pretty solid pace on the leg and keeping some time between myself and the pack in front of me paid off; they turned down the wrong road and I picked them up right as they got back on track.  The ride was pretty relaxing, I felt very comfortable on my aero bars.  I have settled in to doing most tasks on the bike like opening food packages and reading a map and directions.  The road we were on was pretty rough at times and we had to slow down to not tank our tires.  I had no idea where I was and it was great.  My GPS watch was the only thing letting me know how far was left. 

We slowly trickled into the second check point.  Waiting at the check point was a glorious bag full of food fit for endurance athletes: cookies, candy, yogurt pretzels, fruit.  We all gorged and lay in the sun at the wildlife viewing area.  We started heading out in small packs.  I took off alone to start at a slower pace that I could increase as the next pack caught up.  At this point my rear tire started to feel sluggish… welcome to flat number three.  The tube could hold air, but not for long.  If I changed this tire and continued on I would be riding more than 30 miles with zero reserve tubes and zero cell reception.  I took my pump out, over inflated my tube, and booked it back towards the second check point.  The bus was already leaving so I flagged it down.  I hopped on the bus with my bike and took a seat.  I was defeated by sheer luck.  We arrived at the final coast stop where subs and snacks were waiting.  People slowly arrived and grabbed food.  One guy a long way back on the course needed to be picked up due to extreme cramping.  I was glad I didn’t push on without reserve tubes because the phone communication tree took over an hour to even get across where this guy was and what was wrong.

We hung out at the coast for several hours.  People talked about upcoming events, nutrition, and goals.  I didn’t talk about my events much other than an occasional “I’ll see you there.”  As much as I like to surround myself in the environment of endurance racing, I think I just like hearing the background noise of it more than actually being front and center in a conversation.

So remember that monstrous bus?  So we loaded 32 bikes onto that bus, while still needing to fit 32 people as well.  I was involved with the bike loading along with one other guy.  It was like playing Tetris with really expensive blocks.  I didn’t care much about time so I don’t know how long it took to meticulously load 32 bikes, but I’m sure it took quite a while.  The ride home took about two hours and everyone was glad to be back.

I learned a lot of things from this trip.  I became a pro at changing tubes.  I observed other bikes and learned about containers I didn’t know existed.  I learned about sacrificing a water bottle holder to place a cut open bottle that can hold whatever munchables you want (pretzels, in her case).  So I didn’t get in my century ride, but knowledge is power and I sure learned a lot.  In the end it was a worthwhile day with fun activities and fun people.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment